2018.06.27 13:00-14:00 - Isis Agora Lovecruft - Part 1
This workshop about the privacy in propagation protocol within blockchain networks and de-anonymization of transactions.
List of papers on blockchain network privacy: https://github.com/isislovecruft/library–/tree/master/anonymity%20&%20circumvention/bitcoin
(Go up the path in the repo for more exciting papers)
Separate groups discussion on the network anonymization protocols (Some are fictional at this point):
- MimbleWimble / Grin
- Whisper Protocol (Ethereum)
- Noise networks
- Use Tor / Use Signal
- Use Wireguard
- Broadcasted Encryption
- Randomized Transaction Handling
- Kovri - used in Monero. Onion routing style like tor but different approach (DHT Node discovery, Uni-directional routing (closer to free route mixnets), designed for low latency networks, probably works well for P2P but may not work well for client-server architecture).
Each group posted their proposals on the window and the rest put star stickers on their preferred proposals:
- Node Random Path selection
2018.06.27 14:10-15:10 - Isis Agora Lovecruft - Part 2
… [missed the beginning of the discussion]
- Discussion regarding how Dandelion Protocol works, One example: Grin Spec
- Timing attacks by an entity that runs multiple (many) nodes in the network
- Issue with being always online on the protocols like Signal
- Mix networks High latency privacy network, pool up transactions to achieve anonymity
- Chose a route in advance by the client
- None of the nodes have access to where the transaction comes from and leaves to
- Not good when nodes are not consistently online, need more stable networks
- Cascade mixing
- At least requires one honest node on a path for everyone to use this one path
- Traffic Analysis Resistant Messaging: katzenpost
- Originally designed for e-voting and e-mail
- If used in Blockchain networks, it can’t be used for miner nodes, as the high latency might lead to network forks and higher rate for orphaned blocks.
- Some discussion on possible attacks such as eclipse attack, sybil attack, 51% attack.